Age 18

Transition Planning 
Age of Majority


  • Apply for SSI/Mass Health. If SSI eligible, an individual will automatically be eligible for MassHealth. If not eligible for SSI, apply separately to the Division of Medical Assistance for MassHealth.
  • Help your child actively participate in his/her IEP meeting.  He/she should be part of planning their learning and life goals.
  • Apply for Section 8 Housing Vouchers.
  • Make sure emphasis on IEP is on post-school goals that will make the biggest differences in the life of your child.
  • Understand Age of Majority. At age 18, all people are presumed to be legally competent to make all life decisions.
  • Register men for Selective Service.
  • Apply for eligibility for adult services, if you have not already done so. These include the Department of Developmental Services, Department of Mental Health, Mass. Commission for the Blind, and Mass. Rehabilitation Commission. If your son or daughter is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Smith-Magenis Syndrome or Prader-Willi syndrome, they do not need have a diagnosis of an intellectual disability to receive services from DDS.
  • Apply for Adult Family Care (AFC).
  • Have your child register to vote.
  • Make sure your child has some work experience.
  • Continue to consider transition assessments to clarify student’s continued skill development needs
  • Invite a representative from a human service agency, (example: Transition Coordinator from DDS or MRC) to attend your child’s IEP meeting.
  • Network with other families who have been through the Transition process.

Transition Timeline (Arc Mass)

Comments are closed.